USDA Meeting to Prepare for Codex Session on Fats and Oils
The Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service has announced that a public meeting will be held Jan. 24 to prepare for the 25th session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission committee on fats and oils, which will be held in Kuala Lumpur Feb. 27 through March 3. Interested parties can participate in this meeting in person or via conference call.
The following items on the agenda for the CCFO session will be discussed during the public meeting.
- matters referred by the Codex Alimentarius Commission and other subsidiary bodies
- activities of international organizations relevant to the work of the CCFO
- proposed draft standard for fish oils and proposed draft revision to the standard for olive oils and olive pomace oils (CODEX STAN 33-1981): revision of the limit for campesterol
- proposed draft revisions to the standard for named vegetable oils (CODEX STAN 210-1999): addition of palm oil with high oleic acid, and revision of fatty acid composition and other quality factors of peanut oil
- proposals for the transfer of provisions, other than those in tables 3 and 4, from the appendix into the main body of the standard for named vegetable oils
- review of the list of acceptable previous cargoes (appendix II to RCP 36-1987)
- discussion paper on the revision of limits of oleic and linoleic acids in sunflower seed oils in the standard for named vegetable oils
- discussion papers on the inclusion or replacement of various provisions in the standard for named vegetable oils
- discussion paper on the inclusion of unrefined edible tallow in the standard for named animal fats (CODEX STAN 211-1999)
- other business and future work