Food and Drug Administration import alerts affecting the following have been newly issued or modified in the past week.
- dates from China and Hong Kong
- foods containing illegal and/or undeclared colors
- food products containing mycotoxins
- food products containing undeclared added sulfiting agents
- food products that appear to be misbranded
- human and animal foods not compliant with FSVP requirements
- mahimahi from Ecuador and Taiwan
- medical devices
- processed human and animal foods containing illegal pesticide residues
- raw agricultural products
- seafood products
- tamarind and tamarind products
- tobacco products
Import alerts inform FDA field staff that the agency has enough evidence or other information to allow a product that appears to be in violation of FDA laws and regulations to be detained without physical examination at the time of entry. Import alerts may cover products from designated countries or areas (including from all foreign countries), manufacturers, or shippers.
Firms and/or products on the “red list” of an import alert are subject to DWPE, while firms and/or products on the “green list” are not because they have met the criteria for exclusion. Some import alerts include a “yellow list” of firms, products, and/or countries subject to intensified surveillance because the nature of the violations may warrant further field examinations of individual entries and/or additional analyses. In addition, depending on the specific import alert, shipments of products subject to DWPE may still be imported into the U.S. if the importer has demonstrated that the shipment is in compliance.
If a product is detained without physical examination the importer has the right to provide evidence to the FDA in an attempt to overcome the appearance of the violation. If no such evidence is submitted, or if the evidence provided is insufficient, the product will be subject to refusal of entry into the U.S.
For more information on these and other FDA issues, please contact FDA consultant Domenic Veneziano at (202) 734-3939 or via email.
Copyright © 2022 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.