The Department of Agriculture’s U.S. Codex Office is sponsoring a public meeting Jan. 16 in College Park, Md., to provide information and receive public comments on agenda items and draft U.S. positions to be discussed at the 26th session of the Codex Committee on Fats and Oils, which will take place Feb. 25-March 1 in Malaysia.
Among other things, the CCFO is responsible for elaborating worldwide standards for fats and oils of animal, vegetable, and marine origin, including margarine and olive oil. The following items on the agenda for the 26th session of the CCFO will be discussed during the Jan. 16 public meeting.
- draft revision to the standard for named vegetable oils
- proposed draft revisions to the standard for olive oils and olive pomace oils as well as the standard for named vegetable oils
- replacement of acid value with free fatty acids for virgin palm oil and inclusion of free fatty acids for crude palm kernel oil
- revision of the essential composition of sunflower seed oils
- inclusion of walnut oil, almond oil, hazelnut oil, pistachio oil, flaxseed oil, and avocado oil in the standard for named vegetable oils
- review of the list of acceptable previous cargoes
- alignment of food additives provisions in standards for fats and oils (except fish oils) and technological justification for use of emulsifiers in Food Category 02.1.2 of the General Standard for Food Additives
- report on the outcome of monitoring the conformity of named fish oils with the requirements (especially the fatty acid profile) of fish oil standard and its effect on trade
- discussion paper on better management of CCFO’s work
- discussion paper on the inclusion of unrefined edible tallow in the standard for named animal fats
- discussion paper on the applicability of the fatty acid composition of other oils listed in table 1 in relation to their corresponding crude form in the standard for named vegetable oils
- discussion paper on the inclusion of free fatty acids as quality characteristics criteria for refined rice bran oil in in the standard for named vegetable oil
Copyright © 2022 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.