The Bureau of Industry and Security is seeking new members for its seven technical advisory committees, which are composed of representatives from industry, academia and U.S. government representing diverse points of view on the concerns of the exporting community. Industry representatives are selected from firms producing a broad range of goods, technologies and software controlled for national security, non-proliferation, foreign policy and short supply reasons or that are proposed for such controls, balanced to the extent possible among large and small firms.
The TACs advise BIS on the technical parameters for export controls applicable to dual-use commodities and technology and on the administration of those controls within the following areas.
- Information Systems TAC: Commodity Control List categories 3 (electronics), 4(computers) and 5 (telecommunications and information security)
- Materials TAC: CCL category 1 (materials, chemicals, microorganisms and toxins)
- Materials Processing Equipment TAC: CCL category 2 (materials processing)
- Regulations and Procedures TAC: the Export Administration Regulations and procedures for implementing them
- Sensors and Instrumentation TAC: CCL category 6 (sensors and lasers)
- Transportation and Related Equipment TAC: CCL categories 7 (navigation and avionics), 8 (marine) and 9 (propulsion systems, space vehicles and related equipment)
- Emerging Technology and Research Advisory Committee: identification of emerging technologies and research and development activities that may be of interest from a dual-use perspective, prioritization of new and existing controls to determine which are of greatest consequence to national security, potential impact of dual-use export control requirements on research activities, and the threat to national security posed by the unauthorized exports of technologies
Those interested in serving on a TAC should send BIS a copy of their resume no later than Feb. 18, 2016.
Copyright © 2021 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.