The Office of the U.S. Trade Representative has announced the exclusion of additional products from the additional 25 percent duty imposed on some $34 billion worth of imports from China (List 1 goods). These exclusions will be retroactive to July 6, 2018, and remain in place through May 14, 2020.
The exclusions cover the following HTSUS numbers and products and reflect about 515 separate exclusion requests.
- HTSUS 8407.21.0040 (outboard motors less than 22.38 kW)
- HTSUS 8427.10.4000 (rider-type, counterbalanced fork-lift trucks)
- HTSUS 8473.40.1000 (printed circuit assemblies for automatic teller machines)
- HTSUS 8481.10.0090 (other pressure-reducing valves)
- HTSUS 8483.50.9040 (grooved pulleys)
- apparatus, including pitchers, bottles, and units designed for incorporation into refrigerators, appliances, or sink faucets, the foregoing fitted with filters for filtering or purifying water (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- filtering apparatus, fitted with pumps, designed for use in pools, spas, or similar contained bodies of water (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- filtering or purifying machinery or apparatus of a kind used for waste water treatment (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- submersible machinery for filtering water, designed for use in pools, basins, aquariums, spas, or similar contained bodies of water (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- water distillation machinery and apparatus not covered by heading 8419 (HTSUS 8421.21.0000)
- air purification equipment, electrically powered, weighing less than 36 kg (HTSUS 8421.39.8015)
- dust collection equipment for cement, minerals, and mining industries (HTSUS 8421.39.8015)
- apron-type chain conveyors (HTSUS 8428.39.0000)
- roller conveyors (HTSUS 8428.39.0000)
- vibrating conveyors (HTSUS 8428.39.0000)
- machinery for mixing beverages in single servings for direct human consumption, designed for use in commercial food service establishments (HTSUS 8438.80.0000)
- machinery for reconstituting single serving beverages for direct human consumption from frozen pre-packaged portions, designed for use in commercial food service establishments (HTSUS 8438.80.0000)
- armatures designed for use in hydraulic solenoid valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- c-poles, of steel, designed for use in hydraulic solenoid control valves (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- housings designed for hydraulic ball valves, of cast iron or steel, each measuring 5.7 cm by 3.2 cm and weighing 0.528 kg (HTSUS 8481.90.9040)
- DC electric motors, of an output of less than 18.65 W, valued over $4, other than brushless (HTSUS 8501.10.4060)
- AC electric motors, multi-phase, of an output exceeding 14.92 kW but not exceeding 75 kW, other than for use in civil aircraft (HTSUS 8501.52.8040)
- coils, coil assemblies, and other parts of electromagnets (HTSUS 8505.90.7501)
- radio remote control apparatus for garage doors (HTSUS 8526.92.5000)
- radio remote control apparatus for pet collars and pet food dispensers (HTSUS 8526.92.5000)
- remote control devices, hand held and battery powered, designed for use with toy model vehicles and aircraft (HTSUS 8526.92.5000)
- bezels, covers, and housings designed for motor vehicle cameras (HTSUS 8529.90.8100)
- electromechanical relays, for a voltage exceeding 60 V but not over 250 V, with contacts rated at 10 A or more (HTSUS 8536.49.0075)
- push-button switches, rated at over 5 A, measuring no more than 2.9 cm by 2.9 cm by 2.9 cm, with 4 spade or brass terminals, with an actuator shaft with D-shaped cross section (HTSUS 8536.50.9035)
- push-button switches, rated at over 5 A, measuring no more than 4.8 cm by 2.8 cm by 2.8 cm, with 2 spade or brass terminals (HTSUS 8536.50.9035)
- push-button switches, rated at over 5 A, measuring no more than 5 cm by 1.7 cm by 1.9 cm, with 2 spade or brass terminals, with an actuator shaft with D-shaped cross section (HTSUS 8536.50.9035)
- snap-action switches, each designed for installation in a wall-mounted enclosure or electrical box (HTSUS 8536.50.9040)
- stereoscopic microscopes, not provided with a means for photographing the image, valued not over $500 per unit (HTSUS 9011.10.8000)
- adapter rings, tubes and extension sleeves, stands and arm assemblies, stages and gliding tables, eyeguards and focusing racks, all the foregoing designed for use with compound optical microscopes (HTSUS 9011.90.0000)
- ultraviolet or infrared LED light therapy devices for the professional treatment of pain or of ailments of the skin (HTSUS 9018.20.0040)
These exclusions must be claimed using new HTSUS subheading 9903.88.08. They are available for any product that meets the specified product description, regardless of whether the importer filed an exclusion request. USTR notes that the scope of each exclusion is governed by the scope of the product descriptions set forth in its notice and not by the product descriptions in any particular request for exclusion.
For more information on Section 301 tariffs, including exclusion requests, please contact trade consultant Nicole Bivens Collinson at (202) 730-4956 or trade attorney Kristen Smith at (202) 730-4965.
Copyright © 2022 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.