New Investigation of COVID-19 Impacts on Supply Chain
The Federal Maritime Commission launched March 31 an initiative aimed at addressing port congestion and related challenges in the U.S. freight delivery system related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Commissioner Rebecca Dye, who will lead this effort, said small and medium-sized shippers are especially affected by a lack of cargo storage space and are running out of options of where to send shipments once offloaded. An article in The Loadstar noted that manufacturers and retailers “are reportedly not picking up cargo from ports” due to slowing operations, “evoking the specter of terminals – many already sitting on large numbers of empty containers – clogging up.”
The FMC states that Dye will first interview port directors to determine what steps they can identify to mitigate critical supply chain challenges. She has also been authorized to form one or more supply chain innovation teams, which will bring together industry leaders representing public port authorities, marine terminal operators, beneficial cargo owners, ocean transportation intermediaries, liner shipping companies, drayage trucking companies, longshore labor representatives, rail officials, and chassis providers.
Ocean Transportation Intermediary License Applications
The FMC has given notice that the following have filed applications (a) for ocean transportation intermediary licenses as non-vessel operating common carriers and/or ocean freight forwarders or (b) to amend an existing OTI license or the qualifying individual for a licensee.
- 1st Serve Logistics Inc., Marietta, GA (new NVO license)
- Action Cargo Transport Inc., Carolina, PR (name change to Action Cargo Transport LLC and business structure change)
- Allstates Logistics Inc., Bayville, NJ (QI change and license transfer to Allstates Logistics LLC)
- Benison Transport Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ (QI change)
- C.T. Freight USA Inc., Los Angeles, CA (QI change)
- DT Global Express Inc., Fullerton, CA (new NVO license)
- IFreight Inc., South Plainfield, NJ (new NVO and OFF license)
- Intrans Consolidators Inc., Doral, FL (additional QI)
- Lojistechs LLC, Naperville, IL (new OFF license)
- MVP Logistics LLC, Plymouth, MN (QI change)
- Northstar Logistics LLC, Dulles, VA (QI change)
- Penske Logistics LLC, Reading, PA (QI change)
- Penske Transportation Management LLC, Reading, PA (QI change)
- V&S CarGo Inc., Matawan, NJ (new NVO license)
- XPort Forwarding LLC, Irvine, CA (new NVO and OFF license)
Copyright © 2020 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.