The Drug Enforcement Administration has announced its intent to issue an order temporarily including the following fentanyl-related substances into schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
- N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)-Nphenylpentanamide (valeryl fentanyl)
- N-(4-fluorophenyl)-N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)butyramide (para-fluorobutyryl fentanyl)
- N-(4-methoxyphenyl)-N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)butyramide (para-methoxybutyryl fentanyl)
- N-(4-chlorophenyl)-N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)isobutyramide (para-chloroisobutyryl fentanyl)
- N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)-N-phenylisobutyramide (isobutyryl fentanyl)
- N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)-N-phenylcyclopentanecarboxamide (cyclopentyl fentanyl)
- N-(2-fluorophenyl)-2-methoxy-N-(1-phenethylpiperidin-4-yl)acetamide (ocfentanil)
The temporary scheduling order will impose the administrative, civil, and criminal sanctions and regulatory controls applicable to schedule I substances under the CSA on the manufacture, distribution, reverse distribution, possession, importation, exportation, research and conduct of instructional activities, and chemical analysis of these synthetic opioids. It will be effective on the date it is published in the Federal Register, which will not take place before Jan. 12, and will remain in effect for two years, with a possible extension of one year.