U.S. Customs and Border Protection has issued an administrative message with the following information concerning the filing of entry summaries for imports subject to the additional tariffs on steel and aluminum products that took effect March 23.
- In addition to reporting the regular HTSUS Chapter 72 and 73 classifications, importers must report HTSUS 9903.80.01 for imported steel mill products subject to the 25 percent additional duty
- In addition to reporting the regular HTSUS Chapter 76 classifications, importers must report HTSUS 9903.85.01 for imported aluminum products subject to the 10 percent additional duty.
- Importers and filers failing to submit the required Chapter 99 numbers with the entry summary information for imports under the specified classifications in chapters 72, 73, or 76 for the covered countries of origin will receive the following reject messages: E1 IQ10 LINE SUBJECT TO QUOTA, E1 FQ09 QUOTA NOT ALLOWED FOR ENTRY TYPE, E1 FQ05 BANNED IMPORT, or E1 RF998 TRANSACTION DATA REJECTED.
- Importers or filers receiving one of these reject messages that have researched their classification and dates to confirm the entry summaries were incorrectly rejected should contact their assigned client representative with the results of their review.
- Any steel or aluminum article subject to the additional tariffs that is admitted into a U.S. foreign-trade zone on or after 12:01 a.m. EDT March 23 must be admitted as “privileged foreign status” and will be subject upon entry for consumption to any ad valorem rates of duty related to classification under the applicable HTSUS subheadings.
- Any steel or aluminum article admitted into an FTZ under “privileged foreign status” prior to 12:01 a.m. EDT March 23 will likewise be subject upon entry for consumption to any ad valorem rates of duty related to classification under applicable HTSUS subheadings.
- Goods subject to the additional duties may also be subject to antidumping and countervailing duties.
Copyright © 2021 Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.; WorldTrade Interactive, Inc. All rights reserved.