Tiffany N Comprés
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.
Areas of Practice
State Bar Memberships
- New York
Georgetown University Law Center
Sorbonne Law School at the Université de Paris I, LL.M., International Business Law
Institut de Sciences Politiques (Sciences Po), LL.M., Law and Economic Globalization
University of Miami
TIFFANY N. COMPRÉS is a Member of Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A., resident in the Miami office. She is uniquely qualified to help people and companies buy and sell goods across borders and resolve international disputes. Although her primary area of expertise is the international fresh produce industry, she often takes cases in other sectors in which commercial international law is involved. She is fluent in Spanish and French and conversant in Italian.
Ms. Comprés excels at crafting international arbitration cases around their strengths and using practical methods to achieve her clients’ goals. Her outcome-driven perspective extends to related court proceedings, allowing her to best position her clients in the ancillary litigation that often accompanies complex international arbitration. She is prepared to handle commercial cases in all of the world’s major arbitration centers and under all the major arbitration rules as well as investor-state arbitration under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
Ms. Comprés has lived and breathed the fresh produce industry for more than 20 years, working with her family at Customized Brokers (now Advance Customs Brokers) and J.R. Comprés & Asociados (growers and importers of fresh produce from the Dominican Republic). She knows the business from the inside and uses her knowledge and experience to address her clients’ particular needs in an industry where repeat business is key. Her work in this area typically involves international commercial law and the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act, which provides extraordinary protections for sellers of fresh produce.
Skilled at negotiating and drafting agreements for the transfer of fresh produce across borders, Ms. Comprés regularly prepares distribution agreements, consignment agreements, and grower’s agent agreements. Representative clients include growers in Spain that sell to U.S. companies for distribution; a publicly traded company that owns and leases land in South America, where it grows organic fresh produce for export to the U.S.; and U.S. importers and distributors.
Before joining the Firm Ms. Comprés was a partner at Comprés + McCaffery, P.A. She has also practiced with some of the largest firms in the world, including in the real estate group of Proskauer LLP in New York and with Salans (now Dentons) in Paris, France, where she focused on mergers and acquisitions and international arbitration. Her international experience includes work with General Electric’s in-house dispute resolution group in Florence, Italy, where she handled complex litigation and international arbitration and managed outside counsel.
Throughout her career, Ms. Comprés has represented clients in matters such as securities fraud, conversion, insurance coverage disputes, and non-payment disputes, where the stakes ranged from several thousand to several million dollars, as well as transactional matters such as complex real estate transactions. She also has handled commercial real estate acquisitions and leasing as well as copyright and non-disclosure matters.
- representation of two Spanish growers in a payment dispute in federal court against a high-profile U.S. distributor and negotiation of a favorable settlement early in the case
- representation of global citrus company in connection with distribution agreements, grower agreements, and investment arrangements with suppliers and growers in Mexico, Guatemala, Argentina, and other countries
- representation of non-U.S. grower in connection with restructuring and renegotiation of joint ventures with U.S. marketing companies
- representation of U.S. manufacturer in connection with an international dispute arbitrated in Miami, Florida
- counsel to a sovereign wealth fund regarding real estate matters in connection with a $475 million preferred equity investment in a portfolio of 170+ hotel properties across the United States
- representation of large commercial real estate investment company in connection with its preparation for an IPO involving a REIT with a portfolio of 20+ high profile properties, including the Empire State Building
The Produce News, October 2013
"Having an attorney versed in produce is critical to avoiding contract tangles"