Print PDF

Practice Areas

Special Procedure for Wildlife Imports and Exports in Minnesota

Tuesday, June 04, 2013
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg Trade Report

Effective May 30, importers or exporters of wildlife that want to use any U.S. Customs and Border Protection port in Minnesota (Grand Portage, International Falls or Minneapolis/St. Paul) must request authorization by contacting the FWS wildlife inspector at Port Huron, Mich. Importers and exporters must provide prior notification of shipments and obtain clearance from this office.

The FWS states that it has traditionally provided wildlife import/export inspections at the non-designated port of Minneapolis/St. Paul and that the wildlife inspector stationed at this port has also processed cross-border shipments for importers and exporters utilizing the two other ports listed above. However, this officer retired as of June 1 and budget sequestration prohibits the FWS from filling this vacancy. The FWS is therefore implementing the special procedure above to minimize the impact of this change on wildlife importers and exporters that routinely utilize ports in Minnesota.

To get news like this in your inbox daily, subscribe to the Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg Trade Report.

Customs & International Headlines