Deadline for Input on Section 232 Probe of Uranium Extended
The Bureau of Industry and Security has extended from Sept. 10 to Sept. 25 the deadline for comments, data, analyses, or other information pertinent to its investigation into whether the present quantity and circumstances of uranium ore and product imports threaten to impair U.S. national security. BIS is particularly interested in comments and information on the following.
- quantity of or other circumstances related to the importation of uranium
- domestic production and productive capacity needed for uranium to meet projected national defense requirements
- existing and anticipated availability of human resources, products, raw materials, production equipment, and facilities to produce uranium
- growth requirements of the uranium industry to meet national defense requirements and/or requirements to assure such growth
- the impact of foreign competition on the economic welfare of the uranium industry
- the displacement of any domestic uranium production causing substantial unemployment, decrease in government revenues, loss of investment or specialized skills and productive capacity, or other serious effects
- relevant factors that are causing or will cause a weakening of the national economy
If the Department of Commerce (which must consult with the Department of Defense) concludes that uranium products are being imported in such quantities or under such circumstances as to threaten to impair U.S. national security, and the president concurs (a decision he would have up to 90 days after the DOC’s report to make), the president would have broad authority to adjust imports, including through the use of tariffs and quotas. The petitioner has requested relief in the form of (1) a quota that would reserve 25 percent of the U.S. market for U.S. uranium and (2) a Buy America policy for U.S. government agencies that utilize uranium. Any import adjustments, or any other non-trade-related actions the president may elect to take, would be imposed within 15 days of the president’s determination to act.