IPR Enforcement: Electronic Devices, Food and Feed Supplements
Electronic Devices. The International Trade Commission is requesting comments no later than Jan. 6 on any public interest issues raised by a complaint filed on behalf of Nokia Technologies Oy alleging that the importation, sale for importation, and sale within the U.S. after importation of electronic devices, including mobile phones, tablet computers, and components thereof, are violating Section 337 of the 1930 Tariff Act. Comments should address whether the issuance of the exclusion order and cease and desist order requested by the complainant would affect the public health and welfare in the U.S., competitive conditions in the U.S. economy, the production of like or directly competitive articles in the U.S., or U.S. consumers. In particular, the ITC is interested in comments that:
- explain how the articles potentially subject to the orders are used in the U.S.;
- identify any public health, safety, or welfare concerns in the U.S. relating to the potential orders;
- identify like or directly competitive articles that the complainant, its licensees, or third parties make in the U.S. that could replace the subject articles if they were to be excluded;
- indicate whether the complainant, its licensees, and/or third-party suppliers have the capacity to replace the volume of articles potentially subject to the requested orders within a commercially reasonable time; and
- explain how the requested orders would impact U.S. consumers.
L-Tryptophan. The ITC has extended the target date for completing patent infringement investigation 337-TA-1005 of L-tryptophan, L-tryptophan products, and their methods of production from Oct. 16 to Dec. 18, 2017, to allow the completion of extensive discovery.
The products at issue in this investigation are used as supplements to animal feed or as nutritional supplements for humans. Complainants Ajinomoto Co. Inc. and Ajinimoto Heartland Inc. are seeking an exclusion order and cease and desist orders against the respondents, which are located in Korea, Indonesia, and the U.S.