Export Advisory Committees Seek New Members
The Bureau of Industry and Security is accepting applicants for membership on the following technical advisory committees, which advise BIS on the technical parameters for export controls applicable to dual-use commodities and technology and on the administration of those controls.
- Information Systems TAC: Commerce Control List categories 3 (electronics), 4 (computers), and 5 (telecommunications and information security)
- Materials TAC: CCL category 1 (materials, chemicals, microorganisms, and toxins)
- Materials Processing Equipment TAC: CCL category 2 (materials processing)
- Regulations and Procedures TAC: the Export Administration Regulations and procedures for implementing them
- Sensors and Instrumentation TAC: CCL category 6 (sensors and lasers)
- Transportation and Related Equipment TAC: CCL categories 7 (navigation and avionics), 8 (marine), and 9 (propulsion systems, space vehicles, and related equipment)
- Emerging Technology and Research Advisory Committee: (1) the identification of emerging technologies and research and development activities that may be of interest from a dual-use perspective, (2) the prioritization of new and existing controls to determine which are of greatest consequence to national security, (3) the potential impact of dual-use export control requirements on research activities, and (4) the threat to national security posed by the unauthorized exports of technologies
Industry representatives of these TACs are selected from firms producing a broad range of goods, technologies, and software controlled for national security, non-proliferation, foreign policy, and short supply reasons or that are proposed for such controls, balanced to the extent possible among large and small firms. TAC members serve terms of not more than four consecutive years and must obtain secret-level clearances prior to appointment.