EPA Expands Access to Scientific, Regulatory Information on Chemicals
The Environmental Protection Agency announced Sept. 9 the launch of ChemView, a Web-based tool that will give manufacturers and retailers information to better differentiate their products by using safer ingredients. An agency press release states that ChemView will provide a single access point for chemical specific regulatory information developed by the EPA as well as data submitted under the Toxic Substances Control Act and includes the following features.
- displays key health and safety data in a format that allows comparisons of chemicals by use and by health or environmental effects
- combines available TSCA information and provides streamlined access to EPA assessments, hazard characterizations and information on safer chemical ingredients
- allows searches by chemical name or Chemical Abstracts Service number, use, hazard effect or
- has the flexibility to create tailored views of the information on individual chemicals or compare multiple chemicals sorted by use, hazard effect or other criteria
- will link to information on manufacturing, processing, use and release data reported under the Chemical Data Reporting Rule and the Toxics Release Inventory
The EPA will be adding additional chemicals, functionality and links in the months ahead so that when fully updated ChemView will contain data for thousands of chemicals. .