Expediting Imports of COVID-19 Relief Items is Aim of New CBP Team
In an effort to coordinate inquiries regarding the importation of medical supplies and personal protective equipment (see attached for list of affected goods), U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s Pharmaceuticals, Health, and Chemical Center of Excellence and Expertise has established the COVID-19 Cargo Resolution Team.
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg has been successful interacting with this team, as well as others at CBP, to expedite shipments of these supplies. Contact your ST&R professional for more information.
CBP’s multidisciplinary team will receive and respond to inquiries concerning these items and will also coordinate with ports and partner government agencies to ensure that legitimate shipments are not unnecessarily delayed. Inquiries that should be sent to this team include (1) facilitation requests from PGAs and private industry and (2) general inquiries regarding imports of covered goods.
To assist in expediting the release of COVID-19 relief materials, communications should include as much data about the shipment as possible, which ideally will include the following.
- manifest or air waybill numbers, tracking numbers, entry numbers, mode of transport information
- carrier name, mode of transportation, flight number, vessel/voyage number, port of arrival, port of entry
- complete description of the goods being shipped
- country of manufacture, country of export
- names and locations of manufacturers, shippers, importers, and consignees