I Just Got Hit with a Section 1592 Penalty – Now What?
Webinar: 1 CCS Credit
As the Trump administration sharpens its focus on commercial enforcement against importers and other individuals who have violated customs laws, section 1592 penalties are on the rise. Knowing your full legal rights and devising a smart strategy to address such claims can substantially impact the outcome of these proceedings. This webinar will examine how to maximize opportunities to mitigate and possibly cancel 1592 penalties.
- Pre-penalty claims: Cancelling claims from the outset
- Penalty petitions: Key mitigation factors and strategies
- Offers in compromise: Best approaches for settlement
- Levels of culpability: Demonstrating reasonable care, clerical error, or simple negligence
- Materiality: Recognizing falsities or omissions that should not be penalized
- Duty demands: Avoiding penalties once revenue is restored
- Statute of limitations requests: Approaching requests for time extensions
- Small business exceptions: Leveraging your company’s economic situation
Lenny Feldman is a Senior Member of Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A., and serves on the firm's Operating Committee. He served as a senior attorney at U.S. Customs’ Office of Regulations and Rulings from 1991 to 2000, where he was responsible for issuing hundreds of decisions and training CBP officials on customs laws and regulations relating to classification, origin, trade preference, valuation, and enforcement. Today he serves as counsel to numerous corporate officials on global compliance and enforcement issues and serves as co-chair of the Commercial Customs Operations Advisory Committee.