Michael S. O'Rourke
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A.
Areas of Practice
- Border Security Program: C-TPAT
- Civil Detention & Forfeitures
- Customs & International Trade Litigation
- Customs & Other Agencies
- Customs Communications, Investigations & Regulatory Audits
- Duty Drawback
- First Sale
- Foreign Trade Zones & Other Duty Deferral Programs
- Free Trade Agreements & Other Preference Programs
- Import Compliance
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Product Safety
- Rules of Origin Determinations & Country of Origin Marking
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Customs and International Trade Bar Association
Admitted to practice
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
State Bar Memberships
- District of Columbia
- New York
Saint John's University School of Law, J.D.
University of Delaware, B.A.
MICHAEL S. O'ROURKE is a Member of Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, P.A., resident in the New York office.
His practice is focused on all aspects of customs and international trade law, including tariff classification, duty rates, valuation, penalties, U.S. Customs audits, seizures and detentions, country of origin criteria, labeling and invoice requirements, and free trade agreements.
Mr. O’Rourke represents a diverse group of clients before various administrative, enforcement and regulatory agencies including: United States Customs and Border Protection, Departments of Treasury and Commerce, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Food and Drug Administration. He is an active litigator before the United States Court of International Trade and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
A USMC Captain (Ret.), Mr. O’Rourke began his international trade career as a trial attorney in the office of the Assistant Attorney General of the United States, Department of Justice, Customs Section. More recently he was a partner in the law firm of Rode & Qualey. He is a past president of the Customs and International Trade Bar Association and is an active member of the District of Columbia Bar Association and the Federal Circuit Bar Association.
Mr. O’Rourke has served on the United States Court of International Trade’s Advisory Committee and is a program co-chair and a long-time member of the Advisory Board of the Georgetown University Law Center’s International Trade Update. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of International Trade, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. He is an active member of the New York and District of Columbia bar associations.
He received his B.A. degree from the University of Delaware and his J.D. degree from Saint John's University School of Law.
- January 7, 2015
Member, United States Court of International Trade’s Advisory Committee
Program co-chair, Advisory Board of the Georgetown University Law Center’s International Trade Update