News
Print PDF

Textile and Apparel Imports Up in January as Shipments from South Asia Surge

Tuesday, March 17, 2015
Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg Trade Report

The Department of Commerce’s Office of Textiles and Apparel reports that monthly imports of cotton, wool, manmade fiber, silk blend and non-cotton vegetable fiber textile and apparel products totaled 4.76 billion square meter equivalents in January, up 2.1 percent from December but down 5.6 percent from January 2014. Textile imports totaled 2.71 billion SME, down 1.1 percent for the month and 6.7 percent from the previous year, while apparel imports of 2.05 billion SME rose 6.8 percent from December but fell 4.2 percent from a year earlier.

Imports of textiles and apparel totaled 59.1 billion SME for the year ending in January, up 3.7 percent from a year earlier. Textile imports rose 4.6 percent to 33.5 billion SME and apparel imports gained 2.6 percent to 25.6 billion SME.

With respect to specific sources, imports of textile and apparel products (except cotton and silk blend textiles) saw the following changes in January.

Country

January imports (SME)

Monthly change (%)

Year-on-year change (%)

China

2.24 billion

+2.3

-9.6

India

372.8 million

+11.3

+4.4

Vietnam

340.0 million

+5.4

+0.6

Pakistan

210.4 million

+0.7

-12.4

Mexico

184.4 million

-4.1

-1.5

Bangladesh

170.9 million

+26.0

-7.0

Indonesia

145.8 million

+21.7

-15.8

South Korea

112.7 million

-11.3

-6.4

Cambodia

82.1 million

+7.2

-6.7

Canada

78.4 million

-

-2.1

To get news like this in your inbox daily, subscribe to the Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg Trade Report.

Customs & International Headlines