Port Congestion, EU/China Talks, Controlled Carrier Petition Among Topics for FMC Meeting
The Federal Maritime Commission will hold a partially open meeting June 24 in Washington, D.C. The agenda for the open session of this meeting includes discussion of the following topics.
- the Second Global Maritime Regulatory Summit, which will be held June 18 in Brussels and attended by regulators from the U.S., China and the European Union; topics are expected to include the global trend toward increased cooperation and market consolidation in liner shipping as well as regulatory and policy issues related to ports
- a 2014 petition from United Arab Shipping Company for an exemption from the FMC’s controlled carrier rules, which would allow it to lawfully reduce its tariff rates, charges, classifications, rules or regulations effective upon publication
- an overview of stakeholder discussions at FMC port forums concerning congestion at U.S. ports and related international supply chain issues
- public access to FMC information and records
- the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation Act of 2014 (S. 2444)
- a vessel sharing agreement between Maersk and MSC (agreement no. 12293)