USDA Reviewing Information Collections on Unshu Oranges, Bird Flu, Newcastle Disease
The Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service is accepting through Nov. 29 comments on information collections associated with the importation of unshu oranges from the islands of Kyushu and Honshu in Japan. APHIS uses information collected on form PPQ 203, Foreign Site Certificate of Inspection and/or Treatment, form PPQ 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products, and box labeling to certify that the oranges are free of citrus canker. In addition. to ensure that oranges from Kyushu Island are not imported into citrus-producing areas of the U.S. such as Florida and California, individual boxes must be stamped or printed with a statement specifying the state into which the oranges may be imported and from which they are prohibited removal under a federal quarantine.
APHIS is also accepting through Nov. 29 comments on the following information collection requirements associated with the additional import restrictions necessary to prevent the introduction of highly pathogenic avian influenza and Newcastle disease.
- VS Form 16-3, Application For Permit To Import or Transport Controlled Materials or Organisms or Vectors
- VS Form 16-6A, Veterinary Permit for Importation and Transportation of Controlled Materials and Organisms and Vectors
- VS Form 16-25, Application for Approval or Report of Inspection Establishment Handling Restricted Animal Byproducts or Controlled Materials
- VS Form 16-78, Agreement for Handling Restricted Imports of Animal By-Products and Controlled Materials
- VS Form 16-78, Report of Entry, Shipment of Restricted Imported Animal Products and Animal By-Products, and Other Material
- VS Form 17-129, Application for Import or in Transit Permit (Animals, Animal Semen, Animal Embryos, Birds, Poultry and Hatching Eggs)
- VS Form 17-8, Agreement of Pet Bird Owner
- application of seals and agreements
- notarized declaration or affirmation
- notification of signs of disease in a recently imported bird
- cooperative service agreements
- recordkeeping by processing establishments