Food Standards, Fair Practices in Food Trade Among Topics of Upcoming Meeting
The Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service will hold a public meeting June 10 to provide information and receive public comments on agenda items and draft U.S. positions to be discussed at the 39th session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission taking place in Rome June 27–July 1.
Through the adoption and promotion of food standards, codes of practice, and other guidelines developed by its committees, the CAC seeks to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair practices in the food trade. It also promotes the coordination of all food standards work undertaken by international governmental and non-governmental organizations.
The following items on the agenda for the 39th session of the CAC will be discussed during the public meeting.
- revocation of Codex texts
- proposals for new work and discontinuation of work
- amendments to Codex standards and related texts
- relations between FAO and WHO policies, strategies and guidelines and Codex work
- Codex work on antimicrobial resistance
- food integrity/authenticity