FMC Proposes Changes to Rules on Service Contracts, NVOCC Service Arrangements
The Federal Maritime Commission is proposing to update, modernize and reduce the burden associated with its regulations on service contracts and non-vessel-operating common carrier service arrangements. Comments on this proposed rule are due by Sept. 23.
The changes proposed include the following.
- requiring the use of the six-digit FMC organization number for NVOCCs that are a contract holder or affiliate in a service contract or NSA by adding a data field in SERVCON allowing entry of this number
- allowing an amendment to a service contract or NSA to be filed within 30 days of its effectiveness
- extending from 48 hours to 30 days the period after the filing of the original contract, NSA or amendment in which a corrected transmission may be filed
- extending from 45 days to 180 days the time period for filing a correction request to a service contract or NSA
- reducing the filing fee from $315 to $95
- requiring NSA shippers to certify their status, as shippers are required to do under the service contract regulations
- establishing a consistent definition of “affiliate”