Export Advisory Committees Seek New Members
The Bureau of Industry and Security is seeking new members for its seven technical advisory committees. Applications are due by Jan. 17, 2013.
The TACs are responsible for advising BIS on the technical parameters for export controls and the administration of those controls within the following areas.
• Information Systems TAC: Commerce Control List categories 3 (electronics), 4 (computers) and 5 (telecommunications and information security)
• Materials TAC: CCL category 1 (materials, chemicals, microorganisms and toxins)
• Materials Processing Equipment TAC: CCL category 2 (materials processing)
• Regulations and Procedures TAC: Export Administration Regulations and procedures for implementing them
• Sensors and Instrumentation TAC: CCL category 6 (sensors and lasers)
• Transportation and Related Equipment TAC: CCL categories 7 (navigation and avionics), 8 (marine) and 9 (propulsion systems, space vehicles and related equipment)
• Emerging Technology and Research Advisory Committee: identification of emerging technologies and research and development activities that may be of interest from a dual-use perspective; prioritization of new and existing controls to determine which are of greatest consequence to national security; the potential impact of dual-use export control requirements on research activities; and the threat to national security posed by the unauthorized exports of technologies
The TACs are composed of representatives from industry, academia and government who represent diverse points of view on the concerns of the exporting community. Industry representatives are selected from firms producing a broad range of goods, technologies and software that are or are proposed to be controlled for national security, non-proliferation, foreign policy and short supply reasons.