Trademark Basics and Benefits for the Smart International Trader
Webinar: 1 CCS Credit
The U.S. Supreme Court recently expanded the coverage of trademarks and allowed the registration of many previously excluded marks. This change broadens the number of products, including imports, that can benefit from the protections and other benefits offered by registered marks. This introductory webinar will review how to properly use, nurture, and protect trademarks so as to benefit from their full value.
- new and expanded coverage of trademarks under new U.S. Supreme Court precedent
- potential hazards of failing to protect trademarks
- protecting, preserving, and promoting trademarks
- benefits of trademark registration, including ability to exclude others’ goods
- obtaining a trademark
- differences between trademarks, copyrights, and patents
- common misconceptions on what can and cannot be protected with a trademark
- problems arising when a trademark is not properly protected
DAVID J. CRAVEN is a member of Sandler, Travis & Rosenberg, resident in the Chicago office. Mr. Craven is an accomplished authority on doing business in Asia, Europe and Africa and is experienced in helping clients explore opportunities to stay competitive in the global economy. An A-V rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell, he has practiced international trade and customs law for more than 30 years and is fluent in the nuances of the numerous government agencies responsible for administering U.S. trade and tariff laws.